The IBM Connections Mobile team released an impressive update to the iOS app this week. There are many highlights in 5.7.0, most of which bring Connections Files to mobile. We’re excited about the arrival of 3D Touch App Shortcuts, but the big news is that Connections Mobile now includes the latest version of Textbox.io, version 2.0.
Here’s what’s new in Connections Mobile 5.7:
- Editor updated to Textbox.io version 2.0 (see more on this update below)
- New Document Provider extensions for accessing IBM Connections Files
- Import an IBM Connections file into a third party app
- Upload a file to IBM Connections Files from a third party app
- Move existing documents into IBM Connections Files
- Support for App Shortcuts on 3D touch devices, including the ability to quickly create a status update and quickly navigate to your network, files or search
Other updates include:
- Support for using an IBM id to login an IBM Connections Cloud account
- Arabic and Hebrew translations
- Update to the latest MobileIron SDK
IBM Connections Mobile users are going to love 5.7, not the least because it includes Textbox.io, version 2.0. The latest and greatest no less. If you’re not familiar with Textbox.io, it is the editor in Connections Mobile wikis and blogs. Version 2.0 brings an unparalleled mobile editing experience to users and will be available in future releases of IBM Connections on-prem. The current version of Textbox.io on-prem is 1.3. We encourage you to speak with your IBM rep to get an advanced preview of 2.0 from our team. We’ll demo our IBM Watson integration too.
The biggest change Connections Mobile users will see is that the editor toolbar is no longer black in color and now matches the native app color scheme. The Ephox UX team did an amazing job simplifying the editor skin, making it significantly more customizable.
The biggest change Connections Mobile users will experience is an even more robust, seamless interaction with the app when creating and editing content. You can read more about this in the 2.0 release announcement. Note that image editing and accessibility are not active in the mobile UI. If you want these goodies, you’ll need to get Textbox.io into your Connections instance. Please speak with your IBM representative.
It’s also worth noting that the Connections Mobile team announced that, “a future update of the app” will require iOS 9.2 as the minimum supported version. They advised, “Customers using devices with older iOS versions should make plans to update to the latest version of iOS 9 to receive future updates to this app.”
You can download Connections Mobile 5.7 for iOS from the Apple iTunes Store.
At the time of writing the Android version of IBM Connections Mobile was at 5.6.2.