Before deciding what you need in an HTML WYSIWYG Editor, we should first define it. The term “WYSIWYG” — “What You See Is What You Get,” has been around for awhile now. When used together with an HTML editor, it means the HTML page can be seen as if it were being viewed through a web browser. In other words, you see what your HTML code looks like when it is rendered live.
HTML WYSIWYG editors save tremendous time, enabling non-technical content authors. They provide the convenience of letting an author see how the page will look live while allowing him or her to edit at the same time. HTML WYSIWYG editors enable you to see what a web page looks like just like a word processor or publishing application lets you see what a print page looks like.
With productivity enhancing tools such as HTML editors, web development and maintenance becomes an incredibly easier job. With an HTML editor, editing is performed through simple tasks like clicking, dragging and highlighting. Typical editors allow users to switch between code view and WYSIWYG view. They provide significant development flexibility.
In terms of capabilities, HTML WYSIWYG editors vary greatly. Several good options will allow you to demo the solution online and download a free trial to use for a limited period. You can then figure out the best solution that fits your requirements.
For example, all fully tested and supported production releases of EditLive! rich text and HTML editor products are available for a 30-day free trial period. You can also demo EditLive! solutions at the Ephox website.
EditLive! offers the most sought-after features in an HTML WYSIWYG editor. With EditLive!, you can:
- Copy and paste content seamlessly, regardless whether it comes from Microsoft Word, Excel or any web site.
- Access a built-in image editor without having to leave the EditLive! application.
- Avoid making mistakes with EditLive! out-of- box capabilities like spell check as you type, thesaurus and hyperlink checking.
- Track changes and commenting in EditLive! to speed up the revision process and enhance team collaboration.
- Combine your style sheet with the ability to work with lists, tables, images, DIVs and other complex markup to create remarkable content.
- Create content guaranteed to comply with HTML, CSS and accessibility standards, including the W3C and U.S. Government Section 508 Guidelines.
Continue to read the Ephox Blog for information about its HTML WYSIWYG Editor solution, EditLive!.